Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: My first scans!!!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:04:25 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 08:34
Subject: [Leica] Re: My first scans!!!

> Anyone who wants me to send them a scan or two go
> ahead and Email me and maybe pick out a title and you
> can see how well my Summicron does.

Can you put them on a Web or FTP site?  Even a JPEG of a scan that size (4000
dpi, right?) is going to be around 26 MB.  I know that my Coolscan produces 12
MB JPEGS (via Photoshop), and 57 MB TIFFs (in 36-bit color mode).

> I'm not sure how representative any of them are. 200
> to 300K.

It will not be possible to judge the scans accurately if you compressed them
that far.  Too much is lost in the compresssion.

The best thing to do is prepare one JPEG of the overall scan, reduced in size,
to show the quality, plus another JPEG of minimal compression showing a small
extract of the same scan, at full resolution, to show the resolving power.

  -- Anthony