Subject: [Leica] Noctilux and birth pictures
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:10:28 +0200

From: Robert G. Stevens <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 04:35
Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment

> The colour Noctilux pictures are on the page with photos
> from the birth of my son Gordon.

If you had the presence of mind to take pictures during the birth of your son,
you are indeed a photographer!  At least I hear stories of fathers being lost in
the moment and forgetting to ever photograph anything.

In fact, it looks like you had at least two bodies handy in the OR!  What sort
of restrictions did the hospital and attending physician impose?  And what
precautions did you take to protect the camera and/or the sterile field?

I was in a discussion about this on rec.photo.techniques.people and someone
claimed that many hospitals just don't allow cameras in OR at all, even for
normal deliveries.  Someone else suggested that this applies mainly to the use
of flash.  I'm not exactly sure what the real story is.

The Noctilux shots look a tad on the dark side; was that just because you set
exposure to low, or was it really that dark in the OR?  Most operating rooms
seem to be fairly well lit, even in the area around the brightly lit table.

Did you say these were scanned prints or scanned film?  They look kind of like
prints.

Your wife looks very calm and happy--one of the advantages of a C-section, I
guess!  The nurse is cute.

In any case, you have my congratulations for performing well under pressure!
You can give enlargements of these to your son on his 35th birthday, so that his
kids can see what he looked like when _he_ was born.

  -- Anthony