Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 01:20:59 +0200

From: Robert G. Stevens <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 00:32

> I just looked at your web site.

Uh-oh.

> It reminded me of my visit to Paris a few years ago.

Is that good or bad?

> By the look of you pictures in Nortre Damme and the Museum of
> the MonaLisa, you needed a good M camera with a fast lens for
> those low light situations rather than a big clunky Nikon ;-)

The Nikon has a 2.8 lens, the Leica, a 2.0.  Okay, I guess that's one stop, and
it makes a difference in low light.  However, most of the pictures of the Louvre
were taken by a digital camera, a Kodak DC120 (ISO 160 equivalent, no idea of
lens speed).  The one of the Venus de Milo was taken with the Leica.  A few
others were taken with the Nikon and the 24-120.  The picture of the Arc du
Carrousel was taken with the 28-70, and the quality of that lens is readily
apparent.

What really caught my eye in the catalog was the Noctilux.  But then I caught
the price, and my passion was suddenly smothered.  I've been trying to tell
myself that the Noctilux probably wouldn't be as sharp wide open as my
Summicron, anyway, but that hasn't been working very well.

> As for service, check with Maison du Leica.  They seemed to
> be a very friendly and knowlegeable dealer.

That's where I bought it.  I plan to return if I need anything.  I may as well
go to a place that deals in nothing else.

> They also had a good stock of used leica gear in case you
> feel you need some more fast glass for your M6.

I like to buy new, although that will probably doom me to a long, long wait for
my next lens.  That 75 mm lens looks nice, too, but I think it is even more
expensive than the Noctilux.

  -- Anthony