Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm ASPH Filter Question
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:42:42 -0800

lugnutz,

have been following the 24mm/filter thread with some interest, and have
been intrigued by the various strategies suggested for checking for
vignetting. i had similar questions (and posted them over the summer) when
i bought the elmarit m 24mm this past june. my issue was not so much
vignetting caused by a filter alone, but rather vignetting caused by a
using a filter and a lens hood, as the lens hood wouldn't slip on
completely and 'lock into place' if i used a filter (i'm using b+w
filters). i did some simple, empiracal tests: i shot the same scene at 2.8
with and without the filter, with and without the hood, with and without
the lens hood, with and without the lens hood and filter. while the lens
hood and filter separately didn't cause noticeable vignetting (and, i've
got to admit, i didn't blow my prints up, or scrutinize the negs with a
loop, etc.), i noticed a slight darkening of the corners when the filter
and lens hood were used in combination at 2.8. i didn't follow through to
see if this existed only at 2.8, or if vignetting was still visible on
stopping down and, if to, to what extent at which aperture. has anyone else
had a similar experience/ran similar tests?

buy