Subject: Re: [Leica] About Jean l.Sieff
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:04:36 -0800

>I've seen his squares but I believe Sieff is basically a Leica kinda guy.
>He has
>won some Lecia photographer of the year award for at least one year. I wonder
>though how much he likes his Nikons and which lenses. I didn't care much
>for his
>square format stuff. I wonder why he uses Hassy over Rolleiflex he would
>seem to
>be a Rolleiflex kinda guy. Maybe a Rolleiflex wide even. I feel his squares
>would come out better. His 21 was the 3.4 Super-Angulon I think. Working with
>the full human form with a 21 is beyond me!?
>Mark Rabiner

in the now repeatedly mentioned book (j.l. sieff: 40 years of photography),
each decade of photography is closed with a self-portrait, usually
tongue-in-cheek, i.e. an 8 x 10 self portrait ('auto-portrait' in french)
stuck like a flyer or advertisement under the windshield wiper of a car. in
at least one of these portraits, as is true of a number of photos, the
leica m is clearly visible. he also occasionally refers to it in the text
(including one time at the beach when he was knocked down by a wave and the
m4 he was carrying was ruined - apparently it now serves as a paperweight).
in another such self portrait, he is shown using a rollei for his 'squares'.

this kind of trivia (no flames, please, my asbestos suit is still at the
cleaners!) aside, there are many wonderful reproductions and some very
thoughtful commentary on the nature of photography.

what ho!

guy