Subject: Re: [Leica] Recomemdations for M6 Camera Tripod
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:47:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 1:35:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nathan.wajsman@euronet.be writes:

<< I just bought a Gitzo G0011 tripod. When folded, it is only about 20cm long
 and fits even in my smallest bag, a Billingham Alice. When fully extended, it
 is about 50cm and is plenty sturdy to carry an M6, even with a Noctilux, or
 indeed a Leicaflex. I find it much more useful than a tabletop tripod--the
 latter requires a tabletop or some nice flat surface and does not get your
 camera very far off the ground.

 Nathan >>

I have a Gitzo 026 which is the "baby" tripod with the adjustable leg angles.
 You have to get down on your knees to use it unless you extend the 2-piece
telescoping center column, and then it's like a monopod screwed to a short
tripod (vibration-prone).  I've got a little eye-bolt screwed into the
underneath of the column to hang my camera bag on.  This helps a bit.
Unfortunately, if there's tall weeds or a fence it's still not tall enough.
Sometimes the table-tripod is better, if you can find an upright column (like
a light pole or tree) to lean it against sideways.  I shot the Eiffel Tower
at night with the M6 and a 50mm on a table pod pressed against the side of a
lamp post and they were tack-sharp.