Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:36:55 +1000

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> These are purely academic questions at this point but I'm curious . . .
>
> The M2 works well with the rapid-load spool because it has a manual-reset
> frame counter, right? But what about the M3? Don't you have to remove the
> spool to reset the frame counter? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of
> the rapid-load spool? Also, I've never used the accessory rapid-load kit but
> my understanding is that it's not nearly as elegent as M4-and-beyond loading.
> Is it possible to have an M4-type claw spool installed in an M2 or M3? What
> does this cost approxiamately and again, how does the frame counter in the M3
> function then?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know. The high magnifacation finder of the M3 is
> appealing (as a later purchase) but less so if it means stone-age film

You forgot to sign of with your name. So I assume its Ruralmopics.

Ruralmopics,
the frame counter on the M3 works by removing the take up spool. The
M4 works by opening the back plate.
The only way to reset the frame counter on the M3 is therefore to remove whatever
spool you have.
The quick load kit is not really suited to the M3. It is not really suited to any
M camera.
It will fit the M2, but it is still not what you would expect from a quick
It  also has the disadvantage, that it is very hard to unspool the film, after
rewinding.
I personally do not recommend it. I believe the M4 loading system can be adapted
the M2. especially since it was pioneered on some M2 cameras.
The easiest way of loading a M3, is to purchase a couple more normal take up
spools.
Then prelude the film to be used with the take-up spools fitted. Keep the films
like this until it is to be used. I find this the quickest and safest method.

Regards, Horst Schmidt