Subject: Re: [Leica] A couple of hints
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:49:44 +1000

Most of you LUGers probably already know about this. but for the ones who don't,
this may be of some value.

Leica SM cameras:  If you out somewhere and have to load a new film in to your SM
camera, The chance is, you forgotten that the leader has to have roughly a  4"
(10cm)
peace, where the film is only the half film with wide. Most people don't carry a
pair of scissors with them. A standard pocket knife will do. Carefully make a
small cut at the centre of the film end. Then you can slice the knife easily
straight along the film. After about 4", twist your knife a bit towards the  top
edge of the film and keep cutting. It does not matter if the cut is longer than
ten inches or if the cut is not very straight. It definitely works ok

Leica 3f  self timer camera:  When using slow shutter speeds on a tripod, it is
possible to do this without using  a (forgotten) cable release. The inbuilt self
timer can easily be used  up to  1 second.   To get a 2 second shutter speed, set
the fast speed dial to B and the slow speed to 25. To get a 3 second shutter
speed, set the fast speed dial to B and the slow speed to 1 sec.. This will add
up to 3 seconds.  This did only work on my 3F and not on my 3G camera. The 3g
gave me only about a 1/2sec and 1 1/2 sec resp. with the
above settings.

Leica 3M camera. If you a lover of the 50mm focal length and have a fair few of
various SM lenses of this focal length, it is not necessary to use only the 50mm
adapter rings.
Any other focal length ring will do. The 3M always shows the 50mm frame line. It
is not more distracting to look at then an M6, which also has 2 frame lines
showing.

I hope this helps someone out there

Regards, Horst Schmidt