Subject: Re: [Leica] ....M vs R's...
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:32:47 -0700

claire wrote:

> Dear friends,
> Can someone summarise what's teh basic diff between M photography vs SLR
> photography... Just read that someone said it takes some time getting used
> to M -use......
>
> What are the inherent benefits in using a M6 over and R7 ? Is there a type
> of photography that the M6 can readily facilitate which the R cannot ?
>
> There was talk about the M6 being superior when it comes to
> photojournalistic type of pics... but then recently , in my earleir threads,
> Raghubir Singh proved otherwise thru his wonderful , mesmerising street
> pics....
>
> I own an R7 and wondering what's the value of investing in an M6. and
> whwether  its an option worth pursuing ..... I also own an OM-4Ti and U can
> imagine the size/load difference....
>
> TMLee, Singapore

The key word is:
	Groundglass
none on the M6. A separate bright viewfinder/rangefinder. No mirror flip flop or
blackout vibration or time lapse. And on from there. Slr's are keyed for use in
macro and longer tele modes from a standpoint of pure function at least. I say
get a long macro and be done with it!  Then concentrate on your Leica M6.  But
you would be a ways off of arriving at that conclusion. But many have the same
Lenes in both systems. The slow flash sync on the M6 which is not a defining
feature of rangefinder cameras will force some who think they need flash to
duplicate systems with a complete SLR system as well.

Also I think a key to Singh's look technically speaking is his use of Kodachrome
25. Yesterday at Camera world in Oregon they said their Kodachrome processing
was almost always 24 hours.
And I played with their new Voigtlander which is like a Holga with and Aspheric
lens. My wife and I will both be getting one. Great fun.
Mark vs Rabiner