Subject: [Leica] Introduction and Questions
From: Sheldon <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:56:31 -0700

Hi,

I just signed on to the group yesterday, and thought I should introduce
myself.  I've been an SLR user for many years, although I took a 20-year
hiatus from "serious" photography, taking mostly family snaps and not
doing any developing or darkroom work.  Well, I'm back at it now, and
for the past few months have been  using my older SLR cameras - Pentax
gear - which I dearly love and cherish.

However, I've become more aware of the deficiancies of the SLR, most
notably the image blackout when the mirror flips up.  So, in some
critical situations, one is just guessing at what'll appear on the film.
In reviewing some proof prints, I can see where some shots might have
been better had I not been guessing.

Also, many years ago, a friend had an early Leica which I used a few
times.  I liked it very much, especially its ability to focus better
than the SLR in certain situations, such as low light or with some
slower lenses.

That said, I'll never give up my Pentax cameras, but I would like to
supplement them with a Leica or two, and here's where I'd like the
group's suggestions and opinions.  Most of my shooting is with shorter
lenses.  I find thaat in most situations even the 50mm lens is a little
long.  Nonetheless, I sometimes use and find valuable an 85mm and a
105mm piece of glass.

So, here's what I'd like:  A Leica that can handle some wide lenses as
well as something as long as a 75mm - 90mm lens.  I understand that
there are some 75s that will probably do the trick for me, and I'd
probaably prefer that focal length to a 90.  On the short side, 35mm,
28mm, 24mm and yes, even a 20/21mm would work, although most of my
shooting is in the 28mm - 50mm range.  So, is there a Leica that has a
rangefinder that will accomodate all or most of these focal lengths?

Speaaking of lenses, which are the better quality ones, both optically
and from the perspective of construction?  I'm confused as to  the
differences between, for example, a Summilux, Summicron, and so forth.
Similarly for the wide and the longer lenses.  Do the suffixes denote
only aperture, or is there a level of quality designated as well?  Or
are there mechanical and other differences designated by the suffixes?

>From reading a few articles, the idea of a late-model M3 is appealing,
but I'm still unsure as to the lenses that the rangefinder will
accomodate.  The M4 also seems appealing, but there's something about
the M3 thaat draws me.  Perhaps its more of a classic than the later
models.  So, from the point  of view of construction, what opinions are
there as to which models are better constructed - the older, more
hand-made models, or the newer ones?

Speaking of newer models, I don't need, nor do I want, TTL metering, the
ability to utilize motor drives, or larger, more bulky bodies.  I'd like
to be able to easily put the camera and a 35mm or so lens in my pocket
if need be.

And that leads to the lug design.  I like to carry my cameras
vertically.  I know that some Leicas are of a 3-lug design which allow
that, but I don't know which ones can be carried that way.  Can the
2-lug cameras be easily modified to be carried vertically?

I hope I've not bored you with all my questions - questions which I'm
sure many of you have heard and answered before. I look forward to your

- ---
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net