Subject: Re: [Leica] Steamboats on Lake Winnapesaukee(NH,USA)
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:31:24 -0300

Keep your camera dry ;-)  When I do sailing pictures I took up the Sharon
Greene method of putting the camera into a picnic cooler dedicated to this
task and closing the lid before the driver of the boat I am in starts off.
I got a large one at Wallmart for about thiry dollars which will hold my
camera with the 400 2.8 mounted and a second body with the 105-280.  Cheap
insurance for your expensive cameras.  There is lots of spray when you are
photographing from a power boat.

As for exposure, use an incident meter or the sunny 16 rule if it is sunny.
 The in camera meter can be fooled with bright coloured boats and the
reflection of the sun on the water.  As tempting as the big picture may be,
fill the frame with something of interest rather than a bunch of boats.  Be
insistent with the driver of you boat to get you in close enough and at the
agnle you want.  If it is Sunny, you will need to shoot with the sun to
your back, or otherwise the boats will be dark silhouttes.

Regards,

Robert