Subject: Re: [Leica] Eastman (ie KODAK) thief?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:31:50 -0400

Paul-
I remember reading the tale in a photography book by Neblette; like the
telephone, the idea of roll film was there, rattleing around for years, and
several people were working on it.
Unlike A. G. Bell, who got to the patent office first, and was able to lay
claim, it was the Anthony Brothers, later of ANSCO fame who were among the
first to patent flexible foll film- George Eastman, I believe, did back his
with the paper backing, but it was not enough of an innovation to keep the
courts from awarding the plaintiffs a sizable sum- in todays bucks, it's
really big buck!
Ole George, though, had the idea of the first 'disposable point and shoot'-
his camera, the original KODAK had film for one hundred shots, you took your
photos- sent the whole camera in and received your prints and a new camera
in return. Good marketing ploy, but....
Dan