Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 at 2000's Photokina!!!
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:08:06 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> David Morton wrote:
> ><Snip>  Without a source, Stephen Gandy's claim is meaningless.
>
> My point exactly!
> Mark Rabiner

Oh really, is that so?

Just what makes you junior rocket scientists qualified to make such
expert knowledgeable  statements?

Do either of you have one of the largest collectible camera sites on the
net?  what's your URL's  oh great sources of knowledge?

Does Leica link to your site, as it does to mine?

Has Leica provided you a substantial amount of material for internet
posting (the Leica screw mount, Leica M, and Leica R serial #'s) ?

What really surprises me is that neither of  you criticizing this
information were smart enough to simply email me to find out the
sources.    Apparently the obvious was well beyond your ability.

Now I'm just irritated about it.  After this bullshit,  no I'm not going
to identify the sources.   Doing so would be legitimating the questions
of the less bright.     Wait and find out for yourselves.
Unfortunately I can't  guarantee an M7 at Photokina.  All you have to do
is look at the shelves of unproduced prototypes in Solms to figure that
out. .

However, at this point in time, I have good reason to believe the M7
will be at the next Photokina,  regardless of what you respected Leica
"experts" believe.   Hell, Christies sold the top plate to a M6E several
years ago, which at the time was believed to be about five years old as
I recall.  As far as the M7 timing, it all fits (and you had better hope
it fits if you are a Leica fan),  if you are smart enough to see the
obvious.    Since this leaves out Morton and Rabiner, it goes like this:

For almost 30 years the M has had no competitors.   Now
Cosina-Voigtlander is proving the market for a low cost quality
rangefinder.  The lenses are selling so well that the US distributor is
having a hard time keeping up with demand.  Before the end of the year
Cosina ups the ante with the newest Voigtlander complete with with a
rangefinder-viewfinder.   Ricoh and Konica are both said to be both
gearing up M cameras.  In my opinion Ricoh is probably the most likely
to be introduced.  Konica is filthy rich and sees cameras more of a
hobby and  intellectual exercise than a product -- they have problems
being bothered with products which aren't likely to be very successful
commercially.

In the face of less than great R sales, the M is Leica's lifeblood.
Leica's tradition and new "M Campaign" is aimed at building up Leica's M
market and public awareness in the face what what will be serious
competition.  The new campaign   uses tradition as a great marketing
tool,  all but saying  "If its not a Leica rangefinder, it's not good
enough"   --- a brilliant  ploy in the face of  newbie nobody
competition.

That is all and fine, but it will only go so far in the face of newbie
features the M can't match.  Among these are higher sync speed, and
expected AE operation of the Konica and Ricoh.

What to do?  Upgrade the M with modern features  ---  the M7.
Hopefully they will keep the M6 in production for the more traditionally
minded.

Ironically Morton's and Rainier's were right only about their own
postings as being "meaningless' as they don't seem to have a clue about
what is going on.

Stephen Gandy
http://cameraquest.com