Subject: Re: [Leica] Rebuild my R8
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 17:01:10 -0500

At 11:09 AM 9/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>What happened to your 70-180?

Well, let's see. This is the tale of my equipment crashes.

A while back, my R4sP body let go of its strap in a parking lot and hit the
ground. The 90 Summicron wasn't fazed. The Winder had a scratch, but the
mirror came loose. Sherry Krauter fixed it for $75. (She had overhauled it
last Winter).

My 180 Elmarit got hit three days before my job ended. It was during a
fast-pitch softball practice, and the lens hood looked like a mushroom, but
the front element was unscathed. The girl said, "It was on the rise and at
full speed!" <Whew> The cost is $484. Well, about $200 of that is to fix a
ding in the focusing ring (getting a new one) since it did sort of look bad
and my former employer was paying for it. :-) Sherry Kruater again.

My 70-180 Vario Apo was knocked off the desk at work by my boss - by
accident, or carelessness more like it - attached to my R8. Both hit with a
pretty hard thud. The tripod mount was a bit loose, but seemed to be okay.
One night it just started spinning around with no click. So I sent it to
Leica USA and they shipped it to Germany. It's been gone for about six
weeks, so it should be back any day now. That cost $175 to fix. Also
complements of my ex employer.

My M6 is the next to go in the shop. It fell out of my lap and a car onto a
rain-soaked street. (Just after taking the picture of the kids with no
shirts flexing their muscles in the rain late at night which is on my web
page in the "pictures of the week" section).

Fortunately, the car wasn't moving. The 35 Summilux is fine, but the top is
banged a bit, and the wind lever's  a tad bent, and it's plastic tip a bit
scratched. But it seems to work fine, except the 75 Summilux is back
focusing so I guess the focus was knocked off a bit. Passport will cover
that. Good thing I never plan to sell this camera. It's still a wonderful
camera, but it looks used now.

I almost hate to take them out any more! Or maybe a rubber camera is more
to my style?

:-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"