Subject: [Leica] Re: was Schwartza Fenza? Now: Printing frame lines
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:11:29 -0400

Real interesting question, I think.

I don't know the specific origins of the printing of the "black edge" as an
integral part of the image.  I do know that I associated it in the late 60s
and early 70s with the "full frame" school of photographic reportage,
which, as I understood it (and practiced it for many years--though w/o
printing the frame) embraced the notion that one cropped only with the
viewfinder and elevated this technique to a prescriptive aesthetic.  If I
put my mind to it, I could come up with a few examples from that period.

As you might imagine--and I won't risk offending the LUG with any sustained
description of it--there's a great deal of critical theory that speaks to
the marking of the image as artifact, of the superimposition of "technique"
(meaning the camera itself), upon the visual field, and so on.

I read recently that this sort of thing was au courant with the young
advertising set.  Apparently they associate the printed frame with the
mystique of "glamor," mystique in the sense that the edge marking of film
(especially bar-coding) is hieroglyphic and, well, if you chant it just
right, "11 Kodak 200-3 12" passes for a pretty decent mantra.  All the
better if it frames some anorexic adolescent posed languidly in a pair of
Ted's underwear.

Chandos

At 09:42 AM 9/4/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Was wondering what y'all think about the habit of including the 'black
>edge'.

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown