Subject: [Leica] Retrofocus wide angle lenses
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:51:59 -0000

Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

>Erwin Puts and I have had some lengthy discussions about these [21,
24 & 28mm] designs, but I still don't know why Leica chose to use
retrofocus designs for them.

The elements of a retrofocus design are larger than those on a
conventional wide-angle, so are easier to manufacture and mount. I'm
always surprised by the difference in size between my 20mm f5.6 Russar
and my 21mm f4 Super Angulon-R. The inner groups of the Russian lens
must be very small.

Perhaps Leitz thought in neccessary to move to retrofocus in order to
get the speed of 28mm lenses to f2.8.

Regards,

Doug Richardson