Subject: Re: [Leica] SL vs SL2 for long lenses
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:48:35 -0500

Dan,
I got screwed by a Leica dealer in Florida on my SL but it was cosmetically fine
inside and out.  It's needed a new prism and a new shutter brake and I had DAG
do his thing with it.  So far I've got more in it than I'll get out of it but I
don't care.  I agree with you and everyone else, it's a terrific camera (but so
is the SL-2).

Actually, I like several things about the SL over the SL-2 including (of course)
the screen but also the match needle for the meter and the way you open the back
of the camera.  I also like the simplicity of just shutter speeds in the
viewfinder rather than both.  You seldom need to see the aperture setting in the
viewfinder and it complicates the on in the SL-2.

Both cameras have spot metering (is anything else worth fooling with on manual
cameras?).

I agree with you about leather but my M3 has been riding in a Leitz hard leather
combination case for decades and it's just fine.

Sorry for my long post.

P.S. Are you into the Carolina recruitment of Omar Cook or are you an ABC'er:-)

Bud