Subject: Re: [Leica] SL vs SL2 for long lenses
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:01:23 -0400

Bud-
The SL has a center weighted or spot type metering, right? Seems to be a
natural for a long lens, or at least for me it works! Seems to be sensitive
enough, as well, in any light in which the lens is usable.
BTW, you do take your chances- both of mine needed the ministrations of
Sherry- one because it was a real beater, the other just the opposite! It
had been kept in a leather case for years, and cosmetically, looked like
NEW. However, if anyone has kept anything metal in a leather holster, like a
gun, knife, or camera, you fine that leather has an acidic nature from the
acids used in tanning, and even if a fairly neutral chrome tanned leather
(scuff it, it looks gray) it attracts a certain amount of moisture!
So with any older camera- be forewarned- get one that looks like it was not
abused, but then again, not like it was in a leather case in a closet for
the last 25 years!
Sorry about the long post, Bud, but it just struck me how damaging leather
can be to a camera!
Dan
- - Just MAD about my SL, simply MAD!