Subject: [Leica] New scanner and new R7
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:15:11 -0700

Haven't had time to e-mail the LUG. Just been lurking.

Decided I needed a scanner. Did much research. Best source of info was LUG
Digests. Searched key word "scan" on 6-months of archives. Very objective.
Tremendously informative. Followed up by comparing 4 scanners side by side
for a day on both Mac and Intel.

Bought a Nikon Coolscan III. Can't say enough about it. Easy to set up.
Easy to use. Auto neg feeder makes previewing and scanning incredibly fast
and easy. ICE is great feature when needed. Software is stable and very
easy to use. Tremendous results with negs and chromes. Decided more
expensive scanners weren't worth the extra costs for my needs (though
certainly worth it given broader requirements).

Don't need dynamic range. Shoot mostly reversal film -- Kodak VC400. Don't
need more resolution. Majority of shots will end up on the web. Prints
usually 8X10 or smaller. (I can send out for drum scans if Coolscan III
falls short, but I think that will be a rare occasion).

Having a blast. Wonder why I waited so long to get a scanner. Working on an
ftp site to post files. Will share some Leica shots with the LUG when
completed.

My switch to Leica R is nearly complete. Found an R7 to go with my 28/2.8,
50/2 and 90/2. (found these lenses cover 90% of my needs. All lenses are
3-cam though my previous body was an SL). Selling remaining Nikon and
Contax. Hardly using M (rangefinder-slr preference runs in cycles).

Thanks to all who posted comments on scanners. It was extremely helpful.

Dave