Subject: [Leica] ?1.4 Tele-converter-R??
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:13:54 -0700

Bud

Regarding the 2X you wrote:

>>If you ever get one of these, let me recommend that you try something.
Use it with the Macro Elmarit and you'll get a 120mm f/5.6 Macro Elmarit
that
converts the 60 into a 1:1 macro and gives you twice the camera to subject
distance.  Works great except for two dimensional subjects.<<

A high quality 2X converter certainly has it's place.  It's small and
versatile. I'm admiring the benefits of a lighter system more as time goes
on.

I found a reasonably priced 2X Converter and picked it up with the
intention of using it on a 180/2.8 (which I don't yet own). I discovered 2X
turns my 90 Summicron into a very nice 180/4. I'll now think long and hard
before getting a 180.

As far as turning a 180 into a 360, I already have a 400/5.6 Telyt. Though
it's a bit dated, it is sufficient for my needs.  I just don't find much
need for anything longer than 180, outside some occasional sports
photography.

For sheer novelty I'm going to try the 2X on the 400. Maybe take a moon
shot or two. The most difficult thing about using an 800 is keeping the
thing steady. Sometimes a stout tripod isn't enough.

I've heard others say that the 2X is excellent when paired with the 60/2.8.
You've got a decent potrait lens, a long macro, and a light normal lens.
Best of all you can leave the converter behind if weight is an issue. (I do
lots of cycling and I often carry a body and one lens). I'm thinking about
unloading my 50/2 in order to buy a 60/2.8.

Dave