Subject: Re: [Leica] archival epson 1200 prints
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:41:25 -0600

>KPETERS wrote:
>why can't a person just spray some uv protectorant/aerosol spray over the
>top of
>your prints to lengthen life?  is it the uv light that degrades the inks,
>humidity, cosmic rays, radon gas???  I'm looking at some colour prints I just
>printed off my 1200 and wondering what kind of 'coating' I can put over
>them to
>preserve them???
>><Snip>

>I thought there were special inks and papers now for Epson so that these
>prints
>would have serious value.
>Mark Rabiner

The UV sprays will help but are not a complete answer if you want the
picture to last like a real photographic print.

Part of what happens with the Epson paper (and some others) is that the
paper itself discolors. So after some time (depends on display
conditions) the paper goes from bright white to some shade of brownish
yellow.

Another thing that causes trouble with Epson prints is that the standard
inks are dyes. These dyes fade for a number of reasons, one being that
the dyes used are VERY sensitive to light and the different colors are
sensitive in different ways and speeds. Also there is a chemical
interaction with the coating of some papers that causes further
degradation.

There are archival inks available for inkjet printers in both color and
quadtone black and white. Some of these color inks are estimated to have
display lives equal to or better than conventional color prints. Some of
the quadtone black inks on the right papers are believed to have a life
greater than 150 years. (150 years actually on display, not stored in the
dark)

In color printing the archival inks have a very different gamut than
Epson inks. Generally this can be accomodated in adjustments to the color
profile used for the printer. Still these inks will look different from
the Epson inks.

The materials and characteristics mentioned above are just now being
sorted out. More inks and papers are coming and the printers seem to keep
getting better all the time.

Here are some links for further reading/research:

http://www.IAFADP.org/

http://www.magix.com.sg/users/kltham/

http://www.missupply.com/

http://www.lyson.com/