Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Newbie Leica questions...(a thicker plot)
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:57:45 -0700

My first thought was that the rangefinder was out.  I tried the 35/3.5 w/eyes
on both an M3 and and M6 and got the same results with both bodies.  Next (as
long as I had the tripod set-up and measured distance, I tried all of my
longer focal length M lenses.  They all focused at 8 feet.  (50/2, 75/1.4,
90/4).  I have owned the 35/2 w/eyes for more than 30 years and have never had
a problem.  But as I think about it, I realize that I have very seldom used
the rangefinder with it.  Usually, I set it at the hyperfocal distance for
f/5.6 or f/8 and shoot.  Else, I estimate the distance and zone focus.
(Usually, as I walk down a street with it I am fiddling with the focus ring to
account for whatever situation I am in  --- sort of a point and shoot
mentality on my part).

I think that Marc posted a method of calibrating the 50/DS eyes by rotating
the lens over the rangefinder window.  I guess that I need to try that next.
My chagrin is that after 30 years, I should have known that everything was not
"spot-on."

Regards, Bill Larsen