Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica v Nikon- I love to hear the story!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:35:59 -0400

D. Dion-
I know it's futile to compare apples to oranges, but we keep swapping these
stories to make us feel better about blowing the budget on Leica stuff!!
:o}~
Actually, I like to hear about the experiences of others and their
perception of why the Leica is so much more preferable, despite its obvious
limitations. You get an insight on what they want to 'see' when that image
comes up in the tray.
I am sure that some people prefer the photorealistic art of Norman Rockwell
to that of the pre-impressionistic Turner. Even though I like both, the
impressionists were, to me, personifying Bokeh in paint! I look at
photgraphs now, and look at the out of focus areas as intently as the main
subject- The 'painterly' quality of Leitz glass is how I personally see it,
but I also like to get the take from others!
I suppose, to draw an analogy to wine, it is like the 'Golden Rot' that
infects the grapes that make the best of the World's Sauternes. You can use
that particular variety of grape, have the same rain, and sun, but without
that 'difference'- that some would call an imperfection, you don't get a
great Sauterne. The tast of a great cheese depends on how and where it was
'infected' with what ever is used to cure or age it.
I am sure that there are wine drinkers out there who could not tell a good
Sauterne from a mediocre one, or a fine single malt from a blend ( to keep
it on taopic for this group!), but appreciate the quality that Leica imparts
to their light. I am also sure that there are those out there ( hopefully
not near this group) who cannot tell the difference in a photo shot from a
doublet like in an old Polaroid camera from a shot taken with a new
Summicron ( surely a Philistine, by any measure! :po}~  )
I am glad there are those who have that taste or discerning palate for fine
lenses, and just as I like to be regaled with stories about one's favorite
single malt, beer, red dot underwear, and how long to soak your prints in
developer, I also love to hear about other's experiences with their cameras,
and why they see and feel the way they do about their work!!
I am sure as an illustrator, you add your own 'touch' to even Nikon photos!
Dan
- - You can take the man out of the Sociology class, but you can't take the
sociologist out of the man!!)