Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Monaghan's on AF lenses..BSHIT!:)
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:49:12 +0200

>Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:09:00 -0700
>From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
>Subject: [Leica] WAS: Monaghan's on AF lenses..BSHIT!:)
>
>LEICA USERS!!!
>
>Ladies and gentleman, users of Leica equipment, may I suggest all this
>autofocus posting stuff and this person Monaghan be completly disregarded
>as a reasonable Leica topic, unless some of you own .......LEICA AUTOFOCUS
>CAMERA MODELS!
>
>The rest of us have no idea of, nor do many of us really care about
>autofocus as it has no relevance to Leica equipment at the moment!  That is
>of course unless some of you have access to secret Leica autofocus gear!
>
>Please think about it for a moment:
>
>What do Leica Cameras and autofocus have in common?   ZIP! NADA! NOTHING!
>
>So why are so many of you knocking yourselves out over this clown who
>really doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about on a LEICA topic
>network?
>
>Come on folks, I'm no angel when I get going on single malt scotch, but my
>goodness at least it's something that we can drink with or to. But
>autofocus and someone who quotes out of one of the mickey mouse photo
>magazines..... Please lets get real here, even if it's a weekend. Thank you.
>
>And yes, some of you find this autofocus stuff interesting. However if it
>related to autofocus LEICA gear I'd be right in there with you up to the
>arm pits. But who cares about it when it relates to the other guys and a
>toy town photo magazine!
>
>And yes once more, I have some of the other guys gear kicking around here,
>but it still comes down to, this is a LEICA related site, not the other
>guys!
>
>Do I sound pissed off? Not really, I've just been out in the sun to long
>today!:)
>ted
>
>Ted Grant
>This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
>http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant
>
>------------------------------
Ted, and all lugers,

As I feel responsible for this thread, after reading a post of Mr Monaghan,
then a text inside his site, I'd like to argue in order to justify the place
of the topic in a Leica users group.

Firstly Leica has never used Monaghan's argument ("do you realize that most
autofocus lenses deliver far less critical sharpness in practice than a
carefully focused manual lens (again, per PopPhoto and other tests")? to
justify the abandon of the CORREFOT at the beginning of the eighties.Why ?
Because the argument is inaccurate ?
Secondly, according to the new Chairman ( Leica foto, french edition, 2/99,
p. 35) : "AF is synonymous of strategic alliances and it is time to
recognize it ".
So my opinion is that, in the near future, AF-R Leica lenses will be marketed.

Dominique Pellissier