Subject: Re: [Leica] Solms repair service
From: Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr (Dominique PELLISSIER)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:16:40 +0200

>>Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:12:27 +0000
>>From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
>>Subject: [Leica] Solms repair service
>>
>>I called Solms today and here is a transcript of the conversation:
>>
>>Good morning, this is Chris Almqvist in Hamburg. I have a Summicron that
>>needs cleaning and ...
>>
>>- -  Is that a lens mady by us?
>>
>>Yes it is. It has dirt on one or more of the inside lens surfaces. Can you
>>clean it, how much will it cost and how long will it take?
>>
>>- -  We never quote any prices before we have seen the lens. A cost estimate
>>will take about a week. If you send in your camera today, it will probably
>>arrive here on Friday, but I doubt we will open the parcel until next week
>>because the mail gets here so late in the day.....
>>
>>And how long will the repair take?
>>
>>- - About four to six weeks.
>>
>>How long?
>>
>>- - Well you must understand that this is our holiday season.
>>
>>Thank you for the information  and goodbye.
>>
>>####
>>
>>I found a little shop downtown who has somebody do this type of work for
>>them. Bring the lens by tuesday night and you can collect it on friday
>>morning, they said. Cost will be less than $80.
>>
>>- --
>>christer almqvist
>>eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
>>14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnÈville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58

Comment :
1 week for an estimation is a short delay comparing to France : 2 weeks.
4-6 weeks for a CLA is a normal delay in France.
Beware of a "little shop" and of Mickey mouse operators. I remember when my
Prado was "repaired" downtown by such a "handyman". After I had to send it
to Leica France. They said the CLA was a botched work.

The Leica Service is expensive, slow, arrogant, non co-operative...etc, but
they work very very well.

Dominique Pellissier