Subject: Re: [Leica] Oktoberfest -- 4 weeks away
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:48:56 +1000

Bill Larsen wrote:

> I always thought that the Octoberfest was the beginning of the pre-Lenten
> celebration known as Fasching.  One sort of begins an early celebrations
> lasting until Lent --- at which point you should be able to "wash your wallet
> in the Rhine" to show that you have held nothing back.  Sort of like buying
> Leica equipment.  We could start a whole new non-alcoholic trend here.
>
> --Bill

  Bill,  there are two october fests. The largest in Munich (Muenchen) and the
second largest in Stuttgart.  Both of them originated as a thanks giving and at
the same time as a acriculural show. The addition of the sideshows, rides and big
beer tents slowly evolved.

Fashing, or Carnival, starts officially at the 11 day of the 11 month at 11
O'clock.
Exactly at the same time  Australia has 1 minute silence for the remembrance of
their fallen soldiers. From this time on the various balls (masked balls) and
carnival meetings start. This reaches its high point on Monday and Tuesday before
Ash Wednesday.

Regards, Horst Schmidt