Subject: Re: [Leica] The Perfect Outfit
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:37:54 +1000

> Jay Coleman wrote:
> >
> > Ladies and Gentlemen:
> >
> > It now is time for me to seek counsel from this august group.  As I had
> > mentioned earlier in my R8 encomium, I am currently trying to put
> > together the "perfect" M and R outfits.  I currently have an M6, 35/2
> > Asph, 50/2, 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, an R8, 35/2, 100/2.8 APO, 180/3.4 APO, SL
> > with 50/2 (2 cam).  I am considering getting a wide angle and cannot
> > decide between the 21/2.8 Asph. for the M and the (new style) 19/2.8 for
> > the R.  I am also considering replacing the 35/2 R with the new
> > 35-70/4.  For the R, I also want an 80/1.4 (I had one and foolishly sold
> > it), a 35/1.4 and also the new 50/1.4 (but I think I'll wait for it to
> > appear used).  I also eventually want a 70-180/2.8 APO and a 2X APO
> > converter for the R.  For the M, the 35/1.4 Asph. and the 90/2 Asph.  I
> > also want another M body and probably another R8 (or successor) instead
> > of the SL.  I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, etc.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jay Coleman

Jay, This outfit of yours is definitely deficient. What you urgently need in addition to
what you already have are the following: Another couple of bodies. Say a R6.2 and a M3
in case your battery on your M6 runs flat.
Lens wise, have you considered the Elmarit-R 16mm Fisheye. A must for the discerning
photographer. And seeing you don't always need the fisheye look, the 15mm Super Elmar
would be very advisable. On the other end of the scale, I don't see how could have done
until now without the series of Telyt lenses from 250mm right through to Telyt-s 800mm.
In addition, a tele extender would be advisable. You didn't mention the Tri-Elmar
28,35,50 for your M6. Also I would highly recommend, that you try and get all the lenses
you have for the M6 in black and in chrome. This way your lenses don't clash with your
camera, should you for example have a chrome M3 and a black M6. I say, you couldn't show
your face anywhere, without a matching camera-lens combination.. People may think, you
couldn't afford it. That would never do. Would it?

Just keep us posted with the latest camera - lens list.

Regards, Horst Schmidt