Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Re: questions on computer for photo work
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:42:55 -0500

>I use image editing programs extensively on both Mac and PC. I am a
>computer expert, and in company other than the Leica group I would refer to
>myself as a photography expert. I can certainly claim to be an expert
>darkroom technician.
>
>I use Adobe Photoshop, MacroMedia FireWorks, Adobe ImageReady, and
>MacroMedia Director. All of those programs work equally well on both Mac
>and PC. There is rarely a difference of any kind between the behavior of
>the programs on those two platforms (Mac and PC), though sometimes the menu
>items are in different places. And of course the keyboard shortcuts are
>different.
OK

>I find that I have a very slight preference for PCs because I can do
>color-matching better; I have more options.
Huh? tell me please.
>And the total amount of money
>that I spend to get the same performance on a PC is less than on a Mac. But
>the "take it out of the box and turn it on" color-matching performance of
>Mac computers using Apple brand monitors is very much better. If you aren't
>going to buy an Apple monitor with your Mac computer you lose much of the
>automatic color configuration.
Apple's Colorsync works with other monitors - use the profile from the
manufacturer (this is real easy) or have the individual monitor
calibrated and create your own ICC profile.
>I also find that the 2 extra mouse buttons
>on my 3-button PC mouse are a significant time-saving advantage; the Mac
>software works well with one-button mice and can be made to work with
>3-bitton mice.
I guess that why they make different kinds.

>If you are using the computer to prepare online images there is no
>difference at all between the quality that is achievable by a beginner on
>Mac or PC. If you are printing on a good-quality color printer, or
>preparing masters for prepress, then you should stick with a Mac, not
>because it is better, but because it gives you fewer choices, hence fewer
>ways to mess up.
An interesting way to look at it.
>Also, most service bureaus (which do high-end imaging and
>printing) are more comfortable with Mac disks than PC disks, though any
>bureau can deal with any disk.
>
>The one bummer for Mac users is low-end color printing. Printing
>photographs with inexpensive color printers is very slow on a Mac.
Mine seems to send data to the printer as fast as it will accept it.
>I often
>see factors of 5:1 speed difference between a Mac and a PC printing to the
>same low-end inkject printers. The reasons are complex and are not entirely
>cured by USB or Ethernet printers.
I'd love to hear about this.
If you don't want to bother the list please tell me about this privately.

Respectfully,
Henry Ambrose