Subject: RE: [Leica] 21mm vs 24mm
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@imaginet.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:52:31 +0200

Sure.

IMO, a 24 mm is still an ordinary lens. The one you can use for all
kind of subjects, for landscapes, reportages, even portraits. A 21 mm
is, IMHO of course, much more difficult to use. The edges of the
pictures begin to take a strange perspective, you need a strong
foreground in landscapes, etc.. So I concluded that I would use the 24
more often than a 21.

Moreover, I carefully read the Erwin test of both lenses, Chasseur
d'Images tests and some more magazines reports. I have the feeling
that the current 21 is not at the top of what I would expect from a
(pricely) Leica lens.

The last but not least reason is that I got a good price on the 24
that has been too long on the seller's shelf (don't forget that a good
price in France is a very bad price in the US, though).

PS : I forgot. I have an adapter to mount my 18 mm Nikon on the Leica
M bodies and I expected to buy the 15 mm Cosina when I want to go
really wide.

Hope this helps.

 ---
 Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
 Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE), Lyon, France
 http://www.jcberger.com