Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom to digital
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 00:44:53 -0600

The Epson Photo 1200 has arrived locally, and it's only a matter of time
(and a sale) before I get one. I wanted a printer of my own anyway, and
it solves one uncomfy hassle of setting up my temporary darkroom, a
stuffy place smelling of vinegar. I'll continue to process film in my
Jobo CPE2+ , maybe do some contact prints with the help a Nova
processor, if mine ever arrives. 8x10 negatives sure would be nice at
times like this...

The front end of the digital system presents a problem, since many of my
photos are larger than 35mm, and drum scans, through lovely, are $40 a
pop. Has anyone found happiness in a sub-$1K flatbed scanner with
transparency adaptor, or found a way to fool the likes of the HP
Photosmart into doing the job? Or found out where those desktop drum
scanners are unloaded for cheap? If it can at least preserve shadow
detail better than PhotoCD, that'd be a start. By the way, thanks for
the online sample images, Hans!

Jeff