Subject: [Leica] optical essentialism
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:13:07 -0400

Now and then I secure an image that I think perfectly represents the
signature of a lens.  This afternoon, I was scanning some stuff that I shot
last summer with a IIIf and collapsible Summicron, using Kodak T400CN.  My
brother and I were visiting our father in Indiana, and I caught this over
the morning coffee.

There's a wonderful clarity to the Summicron image, even though in some
ways it appears a bit *soft.*  What's remarkable is that the detail is
crisp under high magnification, but that the whole composition has this
ineffable *old* Summicron look: luminous, astonishing contrast (given the
age of the lens), just a wonderful photographic character.

It's odd.  When folk ask me why I like Leica, this is the sort of thing I'd
bring out: fifty-year-old technology.

I'd be curious to know whether other members of the LUG have their own
'reference' images--I'm not talking mere sharpness here, but, rather images
that perfectly capture the gestalt of M or R photography.

Image at: http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/photography/people/matt.htm

yrs.

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown