Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom to digital
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 02:24:01 -0400

>I have given up traditional printing and sold my enlarger earlier this
>year, after it was parked in the darkroom for 4 years. I still use my
>darkroom to develop films (B&W and C41) but the prints are made with the
>Nikon LS-2000 scanner and Epson Photo printer. Why? Because it is more
>convenient, and because of this convenience I am able to make better
>prints on the computer than I could in the wet darkroom. The only real
>compromise is size (my printer can print only A4/letter) and longevity.
>I can address the size issue by buying another Epson printer, and as for
>longevity I am currently awaiting my order for the quadtone archival
>inks and corresponding papers, which should solve that problem.

Is the Lightjet 5000 the answer?  Me, I've ruined every photo with a nikon
scanner and photoshop.  I just can't help it.  The blues, well I like
purple.  And the saturation - I'll fix that.  And of course I'll go through
about 1000 fade/blur and everything.  The final image turns out to be a big
ball of color (unless I desaturate).  I could use layers but I figure I'll
just do a little bit...
I don't mind so much if someone with expertise and a sense of limitations
scans and then prints my stuff.  In many cases, I could easily be tricked.
I know what the positive looks like on the lightbox and what it's parameters
are in terms of duplication on paper, or whatever.  I need to take the image
(me slides) and stop there.  I recently took the strangest picture of an
orange door - weird, very weird orange...and used it as a test on a HP - the
bottom of line Color Copier (36bit) (retails I think $600)  and I was just
stunned by the print (just HP photo paper)  I made a few copies at different
settings and then asked for opinions and almost everyone chose the HP copy
as their favorite (it was a 'bit' brighter).
Then I figured - that's it!  Color Inkjet Copies!  That idea lasted a good
ten seconds - but behind glass!  Hah!  Nice print!  Archival!!!!! Come 'n
get 'em!!