Subject: [Leica] Copies and originals
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 11:57:13 -0000

I'm enjoying the discussion on the origin of lens designs. I share
Marc's sentiments about the Japanese exploitation of German designs.
However, I'd quibble with his statement that 'a copy, by definition,
can never be superior to the original.  "As good as", arguably, but
never "better".'

From other fields of engineering, I can readily think of examples
where the copy is better than the original. The classic is the
Rolls-Royce Merlin aero-engine of World War II fame - it powered later
models of the US P-51 Mustang, and was widely fitted to many British
warplanes, including the Spitfire, Hurricane, and Lancaster. Packard
built the Merlin under licence in the USA, and the historical record
shows that the Packard Merlin delivered more power than the RR
original. The US engine profited from being made on more modern
machinery, so achieved tighter tolerances than were possible in
wartime Britain.

Regards,

Doug Richardson