Subject: [Leica] Phlogiston and the Ancient Leicaman
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:40:10 -0000

Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz> asked:

>Doug, this ancient Leicaman you speak of, he wasn't by any chance
called
Ted in his other worldly name was he? ;-)

It was many years ago, and I can no longer recall his name... He was
the guy mentioned in a poem published in the UK magazine "Amateur
Photographer" back in the days when the IIIg was still in production,
and "AP" was well-written -- and Ilford FP3 was the B&W film of choice
for many British photographers. To quote from my failing memory...

"Up then spake the Ancient Photographer, a Leica in his hand,
Who’ll sail with me across the sea, to reach the promised land?

The maidens there are passing fair, and all the day will stand,
in rows and rows, in graceful pose, upon the glistening sand.

The sun doth shine the life-long day, the light is always right;
Down near the shore at a camera store - free Leicas day and night!

No need to fear your film will end, and you can buy no more,
On every tree grows FP3, in cassettes by the score

The old man stopped, and looked around to see who’d volunteer,
But no-one came to give their name - they disbelieved, I fear."

BTW, I've been informed that there is a way of creating an everlasting
phlogiston supply in screw Leica equipment - sacrifice a virgin Contax
I.

And a further thought - someone wondered that if "Leica" originally
stood for "LEItz CAmera", what does it stand for today?

It's obvious - "LEIca CAmera"

Regards,

Doug Richardson