Subject: [Leica] Restoring the phlogiston level in Leica hardware
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:00:41 -0000

>The screw cameras use Phlogiston type XSA and the M models use type
XMA. I just thought I warn you about this. It can be critical.

>Actually you can interchange them by use of the PLOTZ  LTM to M
phlogiston adapter.  Be careful though, most of these adapters are
pretty old and the gasket may be brittle and require replacement.
Most qualified repair people can replace the gasket for about US$175.

I'd never realised that the XSA and XMA versions were not
interchangeable, and my local dealer says it's been years since he
last saw a PLOTZ.

However, an ancient Leicaman, well versed in Leica lore, taught me the
following procedure which will achieve the same effect, but does not
require a hard-to-find PLOTZ, or require that the camera to be
returned to Leica or sent to an independent repairer who has adequate
stocks of XSA and XMA.

Wait until evening, and pour into a glass a goodly measure of ardent
spirit. I find single malt whisky works best, but have had good
results using Armagnac, and have even resorted to raki when in Crete.
Others have reported equal success with whatever spirit suits their
personal photographic style and tastebuds, or was available in their
locality.

Contemplate the magic words "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar" (some guys go to far
as to face in the direction Wetzlar when doing this).

Invoke the blessed names of Oskar Barnack, Ernst Leitz II, and Max
Berek, and drink the libation of ardent spirit.

The ancient Romans believed that the tiniest error in any ritual
required that ritual to be promptly repeated. I see no reason to
question their wisdom in this matter.

The level of Bokeh, Phlogiston, mana or whatever you call it will have
returned to normal in all your Leica cameras and lenses.There is no
need to repeat the process for each individual camera and lens. Some
guys find that the level doesn't last, and need to repeat the
procedure at regular intervals. However the ancient Leicaman explained
this by telling me the duration of the restored level follows a simple
rule - it lasts for exactly as long as you want it to last.

The above procedure only works with Leitz-era cameras which contain
the Barnack shutter or a recognisable variant thereof.
It thus works for CLs and Leicaflexes. It does not work for Leica Rs,
for which there is apparently a separate procedure, but I have never
learned it. Does anyone know it?

I'd the curious to know if it works for Solms-era M6s, Japanese Leica
copies, and for early-model Feds and Zorkis. After all, these have
Barnack-type shutters.

Regards,

Doug Richardson