Subject: Re: [Leica] why leica?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:23:02 -0600

Guy Bennett wrote:

> lugnuts (professionals or not):
>
> can you say, concisely, why you do use leica? what is it exactly about
> these cameras that appeals to you? let's try to avoid the hyperbole of the
> fanatic devotee and explain why we choose this camera over another.

Ego has something to do with it: I won't kid you there.

I do enjoy photography, and have done so for most of my life, and
the notion of having more than $3K invested in a camera system is not
nutty to me, because I use the camera a lot,and enjoy it. I keep my
interests
(at least the ones that involve buying stuff) pretty well-focused, so
there's room for this kind of expenditure, even on a modest income.

What do I like about the M, specifically? It's a good, older design, and
they stuck with it, kept it fairly modern, but retained most of it's
beloved qualities. I wish Nikon had done something of the sort with the
F4e, rolling in the F5's improvements (AF, viewfinder display), but not
it's bulk.

Jeff