Subject: Re: [Leica] why leica?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 06:15:11 +0000

For me, it's Chemistry.  The part about performance comes next.  Have you
ever saw that gal across the dance hall and she made your heart jumped two
beats, then she says, "Yes" and it jumps five more beats.  Then you dance
throughout that night, cheek to cheek and enjoyed every minute of it.  When
the event was over, you went home and could not eat, sleep and even think
properly because you are now in love!  Everytime you spend time together
again, you experience the same chemistry which made you so excited like the
first time you met.

Yes, a Leica M is like that to me.  My heart jumps two beats when I look at
it, hold it, work the controls, aim focus and release their whisper quiet
shutters and know that I have made a great image in the process. When I
parted with my seldom used 35 summilux, I felt that a part of my life was
suddenly missing.  My heart actually pined for the loss ..... until I
recently located a replacement and I am getting all excited again in
anticipation.

I have read hundreds of personal testimonies, many of which are found in
the excellent book, "75 Year of Leica Photography".  For most of these fine
photographers, there is a personal relationship between them and their Leicas.
(Although I have found the G2 is very useful camera and versatile tool,
there is no Chemistry and hardly any heart stopping experiences when I use
the G2).

Dan K.

                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
                      in order to gain what he cannot lose."