Subject: [Leica] Re: Filters for the 75/1.4M indoors?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 99 08:06:14 +1000

"Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com> wrote:

>The problem with balancing color negative film to tungsten, without filters,
>is that the blue sensitive layer is usually so underexposed as to have very
>little information on it....
[snip]
>and if the information is not there, it
>is JUST NOT THERE! You get an overall blue photo that looks like.... crap!
>Either over exposed the film so you get SOME information on the blue layer
>or use a blue filter- either way, you reduce the efective speed, but you'll
>get much better color!

Agree completely!  And as "Adrian Bradshaw" <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
added, same goes for scanning C41 films.  No 80A/B filter and the blue
channel is super-noisy, use the filter and you get enough info in all
channels for quite good results.

80A/B filters are useful for non-tungsten light as well.  For instance,
a few months back during a shoot in a sodium-vapor lit museum, I used
the built in 80B filter in my 16mm R fisheye Elmarit and an 80A over my
90mm R Summicron.  Even though the light was almost pure monochromatic
yellow, much to my surprise the blue filter helped bring back *some* of
the colours!

But under flouro have found for C41 film that you don't really have to
use filters as it easy to fix during the scan with minimal/no quality
loss.  If you use Fuji Reala or RDP then this is even less of a problem
as the 4-layer films are designed to cope with mixed/flouro sources.

Regds,

Andrew N.
www.nemeng.com