Subject: [Leica] Re: Talk to me about 50 Summicron vs. 50 Summilux
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 99 06:40:12 +1000

"Richard J. Wyble" <rwyble@erols.com> wrote:

>50mm Summicron with the sliding hood

>the smaller diameter hood can provide equal (or
>superior) shading than the larger diameter clip-on
>model, even while *appearing* to be so much smaller
>and less efficient?

Granted, maybe.  But as "Lucien" <lucien@ubi.edu> pointed out,
an important use for a hood is to also physically protect the
lens front element from greasy fingers or the inside of the
camera case.  Add a good hood, and you also don't have to
worry about lens caps while out on a shoot.

For this I have found the built-in sliding hood of the 50mm R
Summicron less than great - way to small and far too easy to
accidentally close.

Instead I use a Nikon HS-7 metal hood which is clamped
onto a Tiffen 55/52 step-down ring.  Nice large sturdy
hood, which stays on when you throw the camera in the
bag, yet can easily be removed at the end of the day by
pressing its bayonet mount button.

Luckily no vignetting, although I admit it's close!  Would
have to remove it though were I to use filters (which is only
maybe 1% of the time for the 50mm).

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com