Subject: [Leica] re: Prices on E-Bay
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 99 08:06:16 +1000

Dave Yoder <leica@home.com> wrote:

> two seperate Leica items on ebay

> both occasions the bidding
> was jacked up to exactly my highest bid

> Am I missing something? Is there some trickery afoot?

Unfortunately this appears to be standard practice on ebay.  Often
the seller or a stooge jacks up the price five minutes before close
of bidding.  So either you have to cough up double what you expected
if you really want the item, or else you end up paying much more than
anyone else was prepared to pay (as in your case here).

One of the many reasons why I no longer even think of buying anything
on ebay.  Especially not high demand/value items like Leica bodies or
lenses.

Now no doubt LUGers who regularly sell their equipment there will
spring to its defence ("Can't be helped, there's always a few bad
apples" or "Don't throw the baby out with the bath-water" etc.), but
the fact remains that where there are $100's if not $1000's at stake,
there should be no scope for this kind of routine scam.

Regds,

Andrew N.
www.nemeng.com