Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50mm/1.4 for over $3000
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:06:34 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> If the doctor discovered a very rare coin (valued at, say, $3000) amoungst
> his loose change, would he use it to buy groceries for its face value (as
> it was intended to be used), or sell it to a coin collector?
>
> Dan C.
>
> At 09:44 AM 14-07-99 -0400, you wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >Those who have pointed out that this list included collectors are entirely
> >correct. Dr. Blacktape was commenting as one who considers cameras and
> >lenses tools with which to make photographs, rather than objects of
> >deification and investment.
> >
> >Sorry.

If he was real hungry he might by a twinkie with it.
If my favorite piece of shooting equipment was all of a sudden deemed
and expensive collectible to valuable for any sensible person to not
have in a dust proof room I might shoot with it anyway.
The philosophical overlaps between shooting and collecting can be daunting.
I had my money out of my pocket to my a Nikon with a 24 by 34 format
and when the guy found out I was planning on shooting with it he
wouldn't sell it to me!
Mark Rabiner