Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:39:21 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I do not think you will lose much. I used to own a Summilux from the 70s,
> and it was a very nice lens. I sold it when I bought the Noctilux and
> replaced it with the Summicron for general use. But if I could only have one
> 50mm lens, it would definitely be the Summilux. If you take pictures of
> statues or other stationary objects, you will see some difference in image
> quality at the wide apertures, but in more normal use you would be hard
> pressed to do so. One difference is that the 70s Summilux only focuses down
> to 1 m (as opposed to 70 cm for your Summicron); this may or may not be an
> issue for you.
>
> Nathan
>
> "Richard J. Wyble" wrote:
>
> > And so I ask what I might gain and what I might loose by selling the
> > 50mm Summicron and picking up a late-70's vintage 50mm Summilux?
> > Specifically, what will I gain and what will I loose in terms of image
> > quality? Perhaps in an ideal world I might own both but not being
> > amongst the wealthy I can't afford it so it's not an option.
> >
> >   rwyble@erols.com
> >   Richard J. Wyble
>
> --
> Nathan Wajsman
No matter what anyone tells you glowing or
otherwise you will be losing a known entity and
gaining an unknown entity. Bored as you may be my
your Summicron familiarity has its advantages.
Sell that lens to help you buy the other one and
what happens if you don't like it?
You have to get the exact version of that
Summicron that you cherish now more so in it's absence.
"I want my Summicron!" you wail.
The answer is don't sell your old baby until you
know your new kid is going to go to bat for you
and hit a home run.
It will take longer to save up for that new lens
without selling that old one first.
A process that leads to less frivolous and/or
disastrous buying and selling.
Mark Rabiner