Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Question....
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:37:04 +0200

Mark,

I started with the non-ASPH Summicron 35 and traded it in for the ASPH late last
year, partly inspired by Erwin's tests, of course, but I also had the opportunity
to borrow the ASPH and do a side-by-side comparison. While this is a less rigorous
test than Erwin's, it is nonetheless nice to be able to do it for myself. I found
that I could see differences on the lighttable with a loupe at f2 and f2.8, and the
differences were quite small. I went ahead and upgraded anyway, partly because I
shoot wide open a lot and partly because I could get the ASPH at a really good
price. But the older lens is certainly excellent as well, and as you point out, it
is more compact.

Nathan

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/l11879.html
>
> http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses/pages/choices.html
>
> Erwin's writings accessed above made me happy about the optics on my
> ASPH 35mm Summicron.
> Wide open the older non ASPH's have an issue.
> But another issue is lifestyle.
>
> The non ASPH's  being the smallest and lightest in the lineup for a
> camera with lens that you can always have with you.
> It makes for an invisible seamless package. Like a collapsable.
>
> My newer 35 Summicron is heavier then my 50. For some reason that makes
> a big different in how often I want the camera at my side all day with
> this lens on it. I feels too heavy. It feels like to much of a big deal
> for all day.
>
> So Erwins glowing, accurate to my experience and well written reports
> accessed above which make me feel great about the optical properties of
> my lens should be read with this also in mind.
> Mark Rabiner
> I'd like an older one eventually.

- --
Nathan Wajsman