Subject: [Leica] 60/2.8 R macro question
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:45:55 -0700

When I bought the 100/2.8 I had intended to sell the 60/2.8, but found that it made a nice normal lens for my R4sP second body which my daughter likes to use.

If the speed is not a problem, then the 60/2.8 serves as a useful normal lens, although it is somewhat heavier than a Summicron.  The images are fully what you would expect from a Leica, and the slight increase in focal length can  come in handy, especially for portraits.

The lens element is so recessed that no lens hood is needed, although using a filter presents a problem because the filter is right up front where it can catch reflections.

Here is my recommendation.  If you will only use macro occasionally, then forget it and find a Summicron.  It will be cheaper, lighter and one stop faster.

If you are interested in macro work, then this is the ticket, while you save for the eventual purchase of a 100/2.8.  Since the lens is fine wide open, the 2.8 is fully useable and this can be your normal lens.