Subject: [Leica] ALPS Printers
From: "Roy Feldman" <royfel@hotmail.hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:03:20 -0400

In our studio we have the MD-5000 and in my house I have the MD-1300 and
have been using both for 6 months:
On the upside:
I bought the Alps because of it's quality and resistance to fade and water.
At the time and for all I know currently it is the only (consumer priced)
unit that does not show fading in under a year. I realize that any color
process is prone to fading,but out of the computer  output devices this
seems the most stable.( Iris is a bit out of my price range.
It does yield a very good quality when compared to the Epson product under a
loupe I would say it has twice the resolution ( in the Dye -Sub mode).
On the down side:
You cannot use it as an everyday printer. The only paper it takes is its own
proprietary brand or that made for a Laser printer. Say goodbye to Avery
labels, any envelopes or business cards.
The only photo paper it takes is that made by Alps. I have to mail order it
and it has no competition, making it a expensive proposition.
I had banding, sent the printer back and received a new one, had banding
again sent it back got a new one. Both times the process was painless ( they
sent me the second one based on my phone call before they received the
first) but it does seem as if they know they have some lemons.
On the 5000 the Dye-sub kit is a joke and a bit of a rip-off. The dye -sub
capability is built into the 5000, what you get for $60 is a key to turn it
on. Sort of like installing a radio in a car and charging you extra for the
knobs.