Subject: [Leica] Re: Screw thread questions.
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 13:41:12 -0400

According to your # and the "Leica Pocket Book" you have a Leica II,
chrome, (less common than black) built in 1933. Keep in mind that Leicas
were often factory upgraded to later models. A IIIa should have a 1/1000
top shutter speed.

There are many users of LTM cameras on LUG, me among them. It is very much
on topic. I have no idea of prices for repair outside the US, but if it
only needs a CLA, which is likely, it may well be worth the cost.

Ken Wilcox

At 03:56 PM 7/8/99 +0200, you wrote:
>So, I've been on the list for a couple of days and the community looks
>interesting. I didn't expect so much politics but I can live with that.
>Strange how almost everyone who stated that Peru topic is not suitable
>for this list did so after putting forward their point of view :-)
>On a more on topic note; Are there any good informative web pages where
>I could find out more about my Leica?
>>From what I can figure out it's a model IIIa (114886) but I'd like to
>make sure. Hate to say it, but it was a present from a friend who knows
>nothing about cameras. It had been sitting on a shelf for god knows how
>many years and I told him he should at least dust it every now and then
>(his kids played with it too...). So he gave it me, he must hate
>dusting. I've put a film through it and it works, though the slower
>speeds seem to be shot so I can only use speeds 1/60 and faster. I'm
>happy it works, and I doubt I could afford a repair. I have other
>cameras I work with, no Leicas unfortunately, but an interesting
>colection nonetheless (from my first camera; a Zorki 4 through contax,
>minolta and a kiev 88). Anyone know a repair shop in Rome for this kind
>of Leica..? Would it be worth it? There are lots of talk about lenses,
>what is compatible with mine and what isn't? Finally (sorry about the
>long mail), everyone seems to be talking about the M series, are the
>older Leicas On Topic on this list?
>Thanks for your time,
>Paul.

Ken Wilcox					Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LAW LHSA MEA						          <wilcox@tir.com>