Subject: Re: [Leica] Quem's Post
From: "ross mcleish" <cram@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:47:08 +1000

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> It is my view politics is not a proper subject for the LUG network,
certainly
> not asking the LUG to support the release of members of terrorist gangs in
> Peru where the terrorists kill innocent men, women and children with great
> pleasure.

Oh but DonjR, the LUG is all about politics, as has so often been noted
here. (Whether we like it or not, it seems human nature has determined that
eventually we descend/ascend to political rhetoric as a means of
self-promotion, and a desire to project our own point of view...)
While we are on this point, let's not forget that although terrorists
shouldn't necessarily be excused for the bad things they do, Government
controlled and ordained killing, torturing and rape of innocent men and
women isn't excusable either (and it happens on a daily basis).
I don't know much about the current regime in Peru, but recent history in
South America (as a region) doesn't paint a very pretty picture of the value
of human decency and morality under those governments. Remember
Pinochet?(That good friend of Margaret Thatcher).
Let's not, those of us living in the relative comfort of 'the West', assume
that we are entirely safe or distant from tyranny. There are plenty of
neo-Fascists around (even if they are called Baroness).
Just my point of view. I value hearing the views of all of you, and on a
great range of issues.....however I also welcome a focus on things Leica. OH
how easily we wander!
Best regards all