Subject: [Leica] Leica M6 vs. medium format
From: Ron and BeeLian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:21:27 -0700

Dear friends,

After reading the current thread on 35mm versus medium format, i'm
reminded of a recent story about how my little M6 and 35mm probably
saved the day for most people involved in my little project.

I happened to be at the end of my 2nd week of  photographing how fifteen
YMCA water aerobics and arthritis program instructors are dedicated to
their participants (who are mostly seniors). I am usually in the pool
with them from start to finish, getting adjusted to the participants and
letting them get adjusted to my presence. I try to aim for candid shots,
mostly focused on the instructor.

In the middle of that, a professional photog comes along to shoot stock
photos of  us and the next door pool class using a medium format with
flash mounted on. No doubt his pictures would turn out to be more sharp
than mine considering i have limited my shots to natural indoor lighting
using 400speed film pushed once. But i couldnt help watching what a
difference his perspective would be. He only shot from the side of the
pool above water and didnt attempt to introduce himself.  Accordingly he
also restricted his shots to mostly individual shots. Perhaps he didnt
have all the time in the world and had specific assignments, but my
subjects felt more comfortable and were more accurately shot doing what
they do in the water. Also their photos will definitely be displayed for
their "community" to see whereas the stock photos are usually printed
for a year book, kept in the administrative office. The instructors and
the class participants say that no one ever gets to see their pictures
that way!  When my project is completed, the Y members will get to see
who is teaching each class and a little blurb about why they love to
teach their class.

Well, that's what i've been doing with my M6!

cheers,
bee lian