Subject: Re: [Leica] Peru & Lori Berenson
From: Austin Burbridge <LIGHTandPOWER@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:44:19 -0700

Harold, that's what I complained of -- one cannot find out *anything*
meaningful about Lori Berenson from freelori.org. In fact, the site
gives a more space to what the Peruvian Government says about who she
is and what she has done, than about what she (or indeed her friends)
say about her work, her actions or her aspirations.

It's baffling -- somebody somewhere wants to help this person, but
hasn't the wit or courage to actually say who she is, why she's worth
helping. Since it does say that she's a "journalist", wouldn't it be
useful to know something about what's she's written, and where it has
been published?  This omission is a disservice to visitors to the
website.

Maybe she's someone I'd like to help -- but I'd like to know whom I'm
helping, and for what good reason. Maybe she's on the side of the
angels -- isn't that worth telling the world about? Maybe she is to
Peru what Nelson Mandela was to South Africa, why not say a few words
to that effect? Instead, whoever put together the website has elected
to be silent about the life and work of Ms Berenson. A pity!

With friends like that -- who needs enemies!

A U S T I N .

P.S. I didn't at all mind "quem" posting the issue to LUG -- it was,
after all, framed in the context of a request for "media-savvy" types
to offer suggestions, which I have done -- LUG members are an
interesting bunch, and the tangents keep the list spicy, in my
opinion.