Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Travel Security
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:42:14 -0700

I have just returned from Spain, where we visited Sevilla, Cordoba, and
Granada, in addition to numerous small villages around Andalucia.  The
Lonely Planet guide says that Sevilla is second only to Rome regarding the
high occurence of theft, but we did not experience any problems.  However,
we did plan ahead:

Money, credit cards, etc., were carried in the Eagle Creek zip wallets that
have two loops for going around your belt.  The wallet is normally carried
inside your pants and you simply flip it out to access the contents.  It has
compartments for credit cards, passport, and paper currency and a soft
lining on the side that touches your skin.  Very secure.

My wife carried her Canon EOS A2E with 17-35 f2.8, 50 macro, and 70-200 f2.8
in a black Eagle Creek "Bedouin" daypack with lockable zipper compartments.
The lenses were contained in soft pouches.

I carried an M6 body with 21/35/50/90 lenses in a Domke F803 satchel.  I had
planned to use the backpack technique like my wife, but found the satchel
much easier to use.  It was comfortable to carry all day across the chest,
and easy to work out of.  For walking through crowds or more questionable
areas, it was easy to lock the top flap, and hold onto the clasp with one
hand.  The satchel also held the day's film supply, a flip polarizer,
Vivitar 2800 flash, Lumiquest pocket bouncer, a Bogen tabletop tripod, extra
batteries, a cable release, and Leica compact binocs in an attached Lowe pro
pouch.

For security at the hotel, we used a "Porter Case", which is super useful
when traveling.  For those of you who haven't seen one, it is a carry-on
legal wheeled hard case box, that doubles as a hand truck capable of
carrying up to 200 lbs.  I keep extra equipment in it, my computer, etc.  We
left things in it in our hotel room like passports, extra cash, equipment,
etc., and could lock the case, then use a pair of Eagle Creek retractable
combination cable locks to secure it to something like a wrought iron bed
frame of headboard.  Never had a problem...

More on the trip when I recover from my jet lag...

Cheers,
- --Jim Laurel